When I started my Paleo lifestyle I was hooked on the idea of no processed food, all organic ingredients and no wheat. I soon missed hearty desserts and that’s when I felt the pull to jump off the wagon. I’ve really enjoyed baking Paleo desserts and discovering so many ways to use Paleo friendly ingredients instead of standard flour and processed sugar or syrups. There’s so much to be said for baking with organic, fresh and healthy ingredients so I’d like to share my Paleo chocolate cake with beetroot.
Why beetroot in a Paleo chocolate cake?
Beetroot has become a very popular addition to cake baking, it keeps the cake incredibly moist, provides a very nice texture and, in my humble opinion, makes my paleo chocolate cake simply delicious. It’s also another ingredient that is nutritionally great for your body. I love exploring nutrition when cooking any Paleo meal, especially it’s a dessert. Here’s what Beetroot can do for your body, and why you should add it to your Paleo chocolate cake.
Beetroot is famously known to:
- lower cholesterol levels
- induce anti-aging effects
- provide plenty of natural antioxidants
- reduce blood pressure
- (and) is a great source of: Vitamin C, Iron, Magnesium, Dietary Fiber, Folate and Potassium
Let’s get baking!
- 200g Almond flour
- 30g Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sunflower oil, or ground nut oil
- 250g Cooked beetroot
- 180g Dark chocolate
- 100g Raw honey
- 2 tsp Wheat free baking powder.
- 1 Vanilla pod.
- 2 large bowls
- 1 small bowl
- 1 saucepan
- Cake tin
- Greaseproof paper
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F, 190 degrees C, Gas mark 5
- Blend beetroot
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl, over a simmering saucepan of water
- Open the vanilla pod
- In the 1st bowl mix the: Eggs, Oil, Honey, Beetroot, Vanilla
- In the 2nd bowl, mix the: Almond flour, Cocoa, Baking powder
- When melted, leave the chocolate to cool slightly. Then mix into the wet mixture in the 1st bowl.
- Gently mix both wet and dry mixtures together.
- Line the cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Gently pour the mixture in.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes
Paleo friendly ingredients
The recipe above uses some typical Paleo friendly ingredients instead of sugar, sweeteners and wheat flour. Check out some that I get from Amazon:
To add extra flavour to my Paleo chocolate cake, I’ve added the seeds from a vanilla pod. You could also use vanilla essence, this is popular choice in many cake recipes. If you do decide that you’ll try using a vanilla pod and want help opening then scraping out the beans, take a look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkp8C6fQR4w
Let me know what you think below!