Contrary to popular belief 5:2 Diet snacks can be easy and delicious! This light, fluffy and pleasantly tangy little savoury cake, also known as Khaman, is a classic north Indian snack. Served up as a mid-day treat alongside hot tea, It’s a perfect snack when on the 5:2 diet, add it to your 5:2 diet meal plan today!
5:2 Diet Snacks: Savoury Garlic-Ginger Cake (Khaman)
With a mixture of ginger, chilli and yoghurt, the combination of spicy, sour and sweet flavours all come together in a beautifully bright little yellow package. Lightly steamed, it’s great for hitting the spot for savoury cravings, without the greasiness of typical snacks.
- 250g chickpea flour
- 200g low fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ tsp fresh ground ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Mix plain yoghurt with a little water in a large bowl, until it has the texture of single cream – it should be runny, but not too thin and watery.
- Add chickpea flour to mixture. Blend it in slowly and evenly, until the batter has a thick, smooth consistency.
- Add 1 tbsp oil, turmeric, sugar, chilli, ginger, salt and lemon juice. and combine well.
- Add baking soda and mix through. Pour the batter into a medium sized metal or silicon baking tray, and leave aside covered with a damp cloth for at least an hour. The batter should rise a little during this time.
- The cake can be steamed in a large steamer or pan. To steam in a pan, heat water on the stove until it boils, and place the baking tin on an elevated level over the water. Cover, and allow to steam for 7-10 minutes, during which time the cake will rise.
For more yummy but low-cal snacks and meals, here are other recipe suggestions.
Do you have a favourite 5:2 diet snack?
I’d love to know! Please share in a comment below.