Previously I wrote about gluten free lunch ideas for work, but realised that when you’re at home particularly at weekends and perhaps out of your routine this is when you could fall into a gluten trap. Whether you are celiac or using the gluten free diet for weight loss it’s important to keep your meals free of that pest which is gluten. Summer is here, so you might be having BBQs and picnics too, so here’s some amazing, delicious, healthy and energising gluten free lunch ideas.
The Gluten free challenge: Why I’ve done this
Just to give some context here, I have set myself a Gluten free challenge, can I go Gluten free for 1 month? Some tips are also below, I learnt how easy it is to forget gluten when you’re in a routine and don’t usually factor it in so strictly. Some interesting results came from this month too!
My favourite meal of the day is lunch, breakfasts need to be fast as I am often in a rush so tend to go for similar, easy to make choices. But lunches, I always carve out time for. I take in the morning’s activities, see the sun at it’s highest and think about what I have on my to do list for the rest of the day. I often cook at lunchtime so I have been experimenting with gluten free lunch ideas during my month going G-free, here are some seriously tasty but totally nutritious, healthy, very paleo friendly gluten free lunch ideas:
- It’s Time To Burn Signature Turkey Burgers
- Stuffed Bell Peppers With Turkey Mince
- Citrus Chicken with red peppers
- Fajita Chicken
- Paprika Chicken Thighs
- Roasted Duck Breast – on a bed of red cabbage
- BBQ Duck Breast
- Red Current Lamb Steaks with mashed carrot
- Mushroom Muddle with spicy onion relish
- Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Lemon Salmon Fillet
- Dill Salmon Fillet
- Sesame Salmon Fillet
- Poached Eggs on Gluten free toast (As a paleo lover, it was nice to have toast!)
- The Perfect Tuna Steak with homemade courgette/zucchini salsa
- Smoked Haddock & Poached Egg
- Peri Peri chicken wings, tomato and cucumber salsa
- The Big Salad: Lettuce, Tomato, Apple, Walnuts, Cranberries, Carrot, Chicken, Coriander, Mint, Basil
- Frittata! Bacon, peppers, tomato, asparagus, anything that takes your fancy
- Turkey breast with sweet mashed potato
- Butternut squash thai curry with coconut juice (not milk)
- Green and White omlete
Contact me for a full rundown of how I make these and some extra gluten free lunch ideas.
Gluten free lunch ideas on the go!
5 days of gluten free lunch ideas for on the go, you probably need boxes for these:
- Turkey and Spinach Soup, make the evening before and take in a flask
- Cold Tiger Prawns with Chilli, served with a whole Avocado
- Lettuce Wraps: Lettuce, Carrot, Cucumber, Coriander, Mint, Peanuts, (optional: Chicken)
- Peach and Parma Ham with rocket
- Quinoa with a Mediterranean twist – Olives, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Mint, Feta, Red Onion
Going Gluten free – common mistakes:
Ok so the month has had it’s ups and downs, mainly ups but the downs were when I would forget that everything should be checked when you’re still a gluten novice. The occasional times where I have grabbed ingredients from the store, that I use almost daily, taken them home to realise that included is: Gluten. There was also a challenge that gluten free lunch ideas were actually hard to think of, lunch is somewhat a mini version of dinner so it’s hard not to cook like I am making dinner. I re-learnt portion control, adapting a dinner recipe for lunch rather than following it to the book.
Do you have any Gluten free lunch ideas to share?
Contact Us (or leave a comment below), and let us know what ideas you have! We might even feature it on the site and will certainly try it out!
For more info on Gluten, and why it should be controlled (regardless of whether you have an intolerance or not) click here (Source: celiaccentral.org)
Click here for some yummy gluten free lunch ideas from the food network.