Every Paleo food list should make it possible for you to eat fruits and vegetables in every meal, plus with sensible quantities of nuts. However if you are primarily focused on weight loss feel free to remove or strongly limit nuts, avocado and oils from your list.
Also remember that paleo concentrates on non-starchy vegetables, so remove the temptation to add white potatoes to your Paleo food list, you will see here we add sweet potato. Check out our sweet potato Paleo guide to help understand why we add it to this Paleo diet food list.
The “Yes” Paleo diet food list: What you can eat
Meats – Some sources will advise trimming the excess fat from meat, others won’t, at It’s Time To Burn we do but the choice is yours, you can take this and make it your own Paleo food list.
- Beef – Steaks (Sirloin, Fillet) Veal, Mince, Extra lean burgers – Its Time To Burn TIP: 5% fat or less
- Pork - Loin, Chops – Its Time To Burn TIP : in general Pork is a low fat meat
- Chicken breast, Chicken thighs – skinless
- Turkey breast, Turkey thigh – Its Time To Burn TIP : Turkey breast or thigh mince is delicious; breast is often less than 3% fat
- Duck, Goose and other poultry
- Other meat – Lamb, Rabbit, Goat – Its Time To Burn TIP : Drain the excess fat from these
- Organ meats - Livers, Tongues. Marrow, Sweetbreads,
- Game – Ostrich, Pheasant, Quail, Venison
Fish & Shellfish
- River Cobbler
- Sea Bass
- Red Snapper
- Yellow Snapper
Fruits & Vegetables – It’s Time To Burn TIP: Watch the amount of Citrus you eat, too much Citrus acid can be bad for your teeth.
Apple, Nectarines, Peaches, Grapes, Melon, Lemon, Lychee, Pomegranate, Rhubarb, Apricot, Banana, Cherries, Orange, Pears, Pineapple Figs, Grapefruit, Kiwi, Lime, Mango Satsumas, Avocado, Artichoke, Peppers, Brussels Sprouts, Celery Cucumber, Aubergine/Eggplant, Onions (Red, White, Spring, Green), Garlic, Mushrooms, Squash, Sweet potato, Turnip, Carrot, Parsnip, Lettuce, Spring Greens, Spinach, Tomato, Pumpkin, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Radish, Kale
Fruit and Vegetables should be the cornerstone of any paleo food list, the idea is here is your take our list, select your favourites and create your very own, personal paleo food list for a successful Paleo lifestyle, whether that is to lose weight, improve nutrition or eliminate processed foods.
Berries - It’s Time To Burn TIP: Dried berries can be very high in Sugar – read the label, and if you are worried take dried fruit off your paleo food list.
- Kiwi berries
- Walnuts – It’s Time To Burn TIP: Walnuts have high levels of omega 3 a must addition to your paleo food list!
- Pine Nuts
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Flaxseed oil
- Sesame seed oil
- Argan oil
- Avocado oil
- Red Palm oil – I use this daily, it’s big tick on my personal Paleo food list!
- Coconut water
- Almond water
- Cucumber water
- All natural smoothies
- Green Tea (decaffinated is possible)
- No-added sugar Squash/Cordials
- Tea and/or Coffee NOTE: This is a modern Paleo food list so if you like it keep it, but cut out sugar and syrups.
Dairy – The only dairy on a paleo food list
- Instead of milk from cows, try almond milk, or coconut milk.
The No Paleo food list: What to avoid on the Paleo diet
It’s Time To Burn TIP: PLUS avoid all processed foods made with the below when making a Paleo food list.
- Grains in : Bread, rolls, muffins, noodles, crackers, cookies, cake, doughnuts, pancakes, waffles, pasta, spaghetti, lasagna, wheat tortillas, pizza, pita bread, etc.
Soy based produce
- Tofu, Bean curd
- White Potatoes
- Potato products like crisps/chips
Fatty, salty meat
- Processed Ham
- Hot Dogs and all canned meats should not appear on any paleo food list.
Paleo food list NO Drinks
- Fruit Juices
- All sugary soft drinks, including carbonated drinks.
- Alcohol (optional – this is a somewhat modern Paleo food list, whilst it adheres to the core values of Paleo alcohol is purely down to preference in our opinion)
- Maple Syrup
- BBQ Sauce
- Pasta Sauces, anything that is sat on a supermarket shelf with preservatives
It’s Time To Burn TIP: Don’t be tempted by “Healthy/Low Fat/Good for you” sauces, they should be avoided always as they contain too many additives, preservatives, colourings and usually MSG. If you are considering adding these to your Paleo food list, don’t!
- Milk or Powdered Milk
- Ice cream
- Crème fraîche
The cornerstone of any successful Paleo diet plan is a rounded Paleo food list, which I’ve shown above. I also believe that it’s important to understand that although out primal ancestors were limited to a certain food list for environmental reasons, the Paleo diet food list that we’ve shown above reflects the possibilities of a ‘modern’ day diet which try and blend the principals of a caveman diet, with the accessibility concerns of humans today – What I mean is that you don’t have to don a loin cloth and arm yourself with a spear to go and hunt your food (you will look rather strange, and probably intimidating to the general public) but you can enjoy the health benefits of the Paleo diet plan by just referencing the above Paleo food list nearby at all times.
Stay happy, stay healthy!
Why not download our FREE Paleo diet guide and supercharge your new lifestyle!
Or check out the It’s Time To Burn Paleo Meal Planner - and change your life in just 4 weeks.