After a workout I often get hungry pretty fast, and the first thing that’s available at my gym is a vending machine full to brim of potato chips, chocolate bars and protein bars…. Hmm. A load of processed food that will likely undo all I’ve just done. Not good enough I hear you mutter… I agree! So I’ve been experimenting with bits and bobs in my fridge to make Paleo post workout meals that are nutritious but are quick and easy to make.
I’m going to share the quickest one I make which is simply Ginger Chili Basil Beef. First I want to cover some important points about post work out meals. Let’s explore!
When to eat?
I usually consume my Paleo post workout meal around 30 minutes after stretching. Plenty of time to shower, change, hunt and gather! Other post workout meals could be simply comprised of leftovers, which does mean it’s can be even quicker – I like this idea but I’m not always in the mood for last nights dinner so soon. Another point that’s important, however much you think you’re feeling hungry, don’t eat before you stretch. Stretching after a workout is a key way to help wind your muscles down and help the recovery process. So take a swig of water, stretch, shower then eat.
What to eat, post workout?
Depending on what type of workout you’ve just finished should depend on what you eat. For example after high cardio sessions it’s important you add Paleo friendly carbohydrates into your post workout meal. Sweet potato is always a favourite in our house.
If you’ve completed a resistance or weight-based session, I would certainly suggest making protein the key ingredient to any Paleo post workout meal. My Ginger Chili Basil Beef recipe below is exactly what you’ll require after strength training. Ginger has been proven to help with sore muscles so is a perfect ingredient to cook with.
Paleo Post Workout Meal Recipe Notes
- I use ginger paste like this but you can easily use fresh ginger that is chopped very fine.
- If you don’t have fresh basil in your kitchen you could use dried herbs but the sweet and aromatic taste of fresh basil really is superior.
- I’ve used a homemade Paleo chilli paste in the pictures (contact me for the recipe), but have also used a chilli pepper in the past to make it super spicy.
- Rump Steak 250G
- 1 heaped tsp of Ginger paste
- Half a red chilli - or 1 whole chilli if you like spicy food
- A handful of Basil leaves
- 1/2 Red bell pepper
- 2 Spring/Green onions
- 2 Chestnut mushrooms
- Finely slice the onions, red pepper and mushrooms.
- Place in a hot griddle pan, or regular frying pan or wok and sauté these with a little bit of oil.
- Cut the rump steak into ½ inch slices.
- Mix the chilli and ginger together and cover over the beef.
- Rip the basil leave apart, don’t chop them, you’ll leave most of the taste on the chopping board.
- Add the flavoured beef and basil to the pan and cook to how you like your beef done.
- Serve and eat immediately.
What’s your Paleo post workout meal?
Join me and many others in the Forum to share yours!