Eating on the 5:2 diet doesn’t mean forcing yourself to subsist on heavily restricted meals – contrary to what you might think! Instead, by focusing your calories restriction to just two days a week, you can plan meals that are built on nutrition-rich ingredients, that will still leave you feeling full, satisfied and nourished. You can also get more creative with how you spread your meals – choose to enjoy little snacks through the day if you prefer to graze – or enjoy a hearty meal at the end of the day instead. This recipe is perfect for the latter, and provides a warm, spicy dinner to look forward to. Here’s a new 5:2 diet recipe for you to add to your 5:2 diet meal plan!
5:2 Diet Recipe: Quick Kedgeree
Lightly spiced Kedgeree is a comfort-food classic, and this combination of brown rice, mackerel and eggs hits all the right notes. A variety of spices, including coriander, garlic, ginger and cardamom all give an extra dimension of flavour to this meal, while protein-rich fish and eggs are filling and satisfying, without leaving you feeling bloated or sluggish. Taking less than half an hour to prepare – it’s also a great meal to have when you need an impressive and tasty dinner in a hurry!
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 cardamoms
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 200g brown rice
- 500 ml water
- 100g frozen peas
- 200g smoked mackerel
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Chives and lemon to serve
- Chilli flakes or cayenne pepper– optional topping
- Sautee the finely chopped onion and garlic in 2 tsp of oil, until brown
- Add all spices and ginger and fry for 2 minutes
- Stir in the rice and add the water
- Cook on a low simmer until the rice has absorbed the water
- Add your peas and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- Remove from the heat, flake over the mackerel. Halve the eggs and place on top.
- Sprinkle chives and a lemon wedge to serve