Konjaku or shirataki noodles, also known as ‘zero noodles’ have caught the eye of healthy eaters and 5:2 diet enthusiasts across the World for their exceptionally low calorie content. But they’re more than just a diet food, and have long been a staple in Asian cooking. Made from the root of the Konjac plant, these noodles have a translucent appearance and a firmer, chewier texture, especially compared to egg and wheat noodles.
5:2 Diet Recipe: Lemon-Chilli Stir Fried King Prawns
Stir fried with crispy veggies or boiled in a vibrant soup, they absorb strong flavours easily and are incredibly filling, making them ideal for a low cal meal that won’t leave you feeling peckish afterwards. With a generous serving of spiced king prawns, this hot and sour combo is surprisingly low in calories, without falling short on flavour. Being on a 5:2 diet has never been this flavourful!
- 200g konjaku noodles
- 200g raw king prawns
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium whole tomato, diced
- olive oil spray (about 10 sprays)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ inch fresh ginger
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine chopped red peppers, ginger, chilli, lemon juice and tomato in a large bowl.
- Marinade raw prawns in pepper and tomato mixture for an hour before cooking.
- Konjaku noodles are usually packed in water. Prepare by rinsing thoroughly and boiling in a salted pan of water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and leave aside.
- In a shallow frying pan, add 10 sprays of olive oil spray. Add crushed garlic, and at a low heat, stir until fragrant.
- Add drained boiled noodles, and toss through for 2-3 minutes at a low heat, until evenly coated with garlic, and slightly yellow in colour.
- Meanwhile, place marinaded prawns, and the marinade, in a shallow anti-stick baking tray, under a grill. Cook through until prawns are done, and marinade reduces into a sticky sauce.
- Pour prawns and sauce over garlic noodles, and serve.
- Serves 2, only 112 calories per serving.
Love this 5:2 meal plan recipe? Tell me in a comment below!
Oops! We could not locate your form.