Here’s another amazing 5:2 diet meal to suit your fast day. At just 500 calories you could easily have this as your delicious meal, it’s a feast! Add this to your 5:2 diet meal plan, you’ll find the recipe and method below.
For a filling, satisfying meal that’s packed with protein and nutrients – this rich, flavour-packed stew has a hint of Mexicana, lots of fresh vegetables, and a meaty hit of tasty sausages. Best of all – you can whip this stew up in just one pot, meaning there’s no annoying mountain of washing up to do afterwards!
5:2 Diet meal plan recipe
Smoked paprika, a little chilli and plenty of herbs give this stew lots of taste, without turning up the heat, making it perfect for sensitive tastebuds that don’t want to be scorched. But if you do fancy something a little spicier, don’t be afraid to amp up that chilli – just keep a glass of cold milk to hand!
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tin sweetcorn (without added sugar), drained
- 200g sweet potato, cut into 1” chunks
- 1 whole red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 6 lean beef sausages
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large, deep bottomed pan. Add chopped onion and allow to sweat.
- Add sausages to the onions, and cook through until done. Drain, and leave sausages aside.
- Into the cooked onions, add crushed garlic and herbs. Add plum tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and maple syrup to the sauce and stir through.
- Mix in kidney beans, sweetcorn, sweet potato and red pepper chunks, and stir through. Add 300ml cold water and bring to the boil, then reduce heat. Cover and leave on a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Chop cooled cooked sausages into bite size chunks. Add these to the stew and stir through. Cook until the stew is thick, without becoming too dry.
- Allow to cook on a low heat for 20-25 minutes.
5:2 diet recipe tip:
For this recipe I’d suggest before serving, chop a handful of fresh coriander and sprinkle to garnish. Don’t chop to vigorously, the more you chop herbs the more flavour is left on the chopping board.
How are you finding the 5:2 diet?
Feel free to comment below…
Oops! We could not locate your form.