Recently we’ve had some emails from our loyal readers who wanted to know how to compliment their diet with suitable exercises to tone their body.
Introducing…The 30 day plank challenge!
It’s designed to take you from a simple 20 second plank, all the way up to 5 minutes – by which time you will not only feel the benefits, but see them!! Impossible? Nothing is impossible if you stick to the plan, so let’s explore what’s involved.
Simply holding your body in a plank for X seconds. Starting at an easy 20 seconds and working your way through 30 days of slight increments.
Your body will thank you!
We all know the core is important, so here’s something I think you will love! Performing the plank not only stabilises your core but also works oblique areas, strengthens your back and thighs but also gives you an arm workout.
The following areas are being worked when performing a plank, even for 30 seconds!
- Erector spinae
- Abdominals (aka what a nice flat tummy you will have)
- Transversus abdominis
- Rotator cuffs
- Deltoid (for strong shoulders)
- Pectoralis majors
- Serratus anteriors
- Gluteus maximus (bottom)
- Gastrocnemius (Calf muscles)
The 30 Day Plank Challenge – Let’s do it!
Download this plank challenge progress chart and tick off your progress each day!
- Day 1 & Day 2 = 20 seconds
- Day 3 & Day 4 = 30 seconds
- Day 5 = 40 seconds
- Day 6 = REST Day <<< make sure you do rest, it’s as important as the workout itself!
- Day 7 = Day 8 = 45 seconds
- Day 9, Day 10 & Day 11 = 60 seconds / 1 minute
- Day 12 = 90 seconds / 1 minute 30 seconds
- Day 13 = REST Day!
- Day 14 & Day 15 = 90 seconds / 1 minute 30 seconds
- Day 16 & Day 17 = 120 seconds / 2 minutes
- Day 18 = 150 seconds / 2 minutes 30 seconds
- Day 19 = TAKE A REST
- Day 20 & Day 21 = 150 seconds / 2 minutes 30 seconds
- Day 22 & Day 23 = 180 seconds / 3 minutes
- Day 24 & Day 25 = 210 seconds / 3 minutes 30 seconds
- Day 26 = REST, you deserve it.
- Day 27 & Day 28 = 240 seconds / 4 minutes
- Day 29 = 270 seconds / 4 minutes 30 seconds
- Day 30 = 300 seconds / 5 minutes!
Here’s how a World Record holder does it:
20 seconds to 5 minutes within 30 days!
To make the 30 day plank challenge effective make sure you’re doing the plank correctly. The easiest way to avoid your hips dipping or your bottom being too high is to keep your elbows in, hands flat and your head down.
Check out this video to make sure your technique is right!
The core often get overlooked. Regular sit ups generally only work upper abs. The full core is the toughest place to work and it’s where weight goes on quicker than anywhere else – for most, including me!
So, it really is that simple! At most, it will take 5 minutes out of your day, but the benefits are incredible. What’s stopping you? You could have done today’s plank in the time it took to read this article 🙂
Mine is the purple one.
Track your progress with other plankers
Join me and many others in the Forum or let me know in the comments below to share your progress! Have you tried this challenge? What other workout challenges have you tried?
Don’t miss out on the 30 Day Bulgarian Lunges Challenge… powerful, toned legs await!
Oops! We could not locate your form.